FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for AA redemptions -for US member (soon to be AA)
Old Aug 17, 2013, 7:32 am
Ansett767

Tips for AA redemptions -for US member (soon to be AA)

Hi All

I am a long standing *A member - have had miles with SQ for many years and more recently with US due to their generous "buy miles" program.

Since US will soon be part of the AA program, I wanted to see if there were some tips users may provide members like me who have never used OW carriers for redemption bookings. So if you don't mind, I have a few questions.

1. I see AA sells miles too. Can you buy miles without having a certain % of the miles already to put towards an award? e.g. some carriers let you top up but only if you have "X" amount of the miles already.

2. I use ANA mileage account to check *A availability and find it to be very accurate. Does AA have such a system or is there a partner program I should be using to check availability?

3. Any tips/tricks?
e.g. I am based in SYD. And it is very easy to get award availability on TG flights to Europe, even at very late notice. Particularly in F and J class.

and it is very difficult to get UA/NZ/AC flights to the USA from SYD.
Any hints/tips or airlines that may have bigger inventory for award travel than others within the OW scheme?

Thanks so much in advance.