FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UPGRADE Letter to SE
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2003, 3:55 pm
marbuck

these targetted promotions run into the problem of infomration leakage. If ONLY the targetted people knew about the promotions, they would work very well, but as readers of this forum (and the Media and AC staffers) know, you can't keep a secret long when forums like FT exist.
In fact, FT has been the 'bane' of the Aeroplan program (and overall traditional airline practices). Folks here have worked out solutions to many problems and shared them; following patterns not 'authorized' by the airline (but quite within its rules).
Eventually, (hopefully sooner rather than later) we will be in a brave new world where fares are rational and reasonable, and the price of J reflects the true extra cost of service, not a bribery for airlines to induce the spending of Other People's Money.
I'm watching right now Delta being blown out of the water in ATL with folks like Air Trans and now Jet Blue -- $99 one way fares to LAX, (no restrictions) in Y, and $269 one way ATL-IAD in J with AirTrans (no restrictions).
Of course, AC's YOW-ATL fare is $2300, though Coca Cola apparently has a deal where employees can fly YYZ-ATL for $900 or so CDN.
And when we are in that brave new world, we'll hopefully get back to the simple principals of the old FF programs. Buy a few trips, and get one free. Then my CIBC Aerogold will be retired for a low-cost CC, and I will stop playing games with the airline. But I will NEVER pay $2300 to fly in a regional jet for a short haul flight. And most rational business owners and decision makers won't if they have the choice.