FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:43 pm
greg99

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Then that would be an answer to my question. I asked why GPUs to upgrade to C aren't a benefit to him. He said it's because he doesn't need to upgrade since he can afford to just pay for C. That seems like a dumb answer. If the answer is that he's always flying on very short notice and on fixed dates and can't get upgrades, that's a different answer.
It's not a dumb answer. He's saying he won't fly in a class of service less than Business class, and is willing to pay for that and has the resources to do so, and as a result, an upgrade opportunity that does not guarantee that he will fly in C is of no value.

I *could* ride the bus to work, and I *could* get tax benefits for doing so as a result of programs that my company offers. However, I will not ride the bus for a variety of reasons, and thus will not receive the tax benefits, so those programs that my employer offers are of no direct value to me. They may have value to others, but not to me.

I similarly see no direct value from the breastfeeding room that we have in our building. Very important to some, not to me.

Greg

Edited to note that employer programs are of no *direct* value to me - they have recruiting and retention value which do benefit me, so it's not a strictly analogous example, because the OP doesn't benefit if others upgrade.