FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - One way to YVR
Thread: One way to YVR
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:06 am
IAHtraveler
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
a) Is my quote really accurate? Can you cross border one-way into an independant licensee? The YVR branch does not offer cross border one-ways itself - I tried it for the journey the other way and it refuses to quote so how do the cars make it back?
If you've got it in writing from Budget, I'd accept it as good... but I assume we've all seen the Seinfeld episode where they don't have cars because "they can take a reservation" but that's all.

It might not be that they don't do one-ways back to the US, but they don't have any cars available 1-way and won't send their own back. After you drop yours off, they might try to send it back to the US via a cheap rate. Or they will in fact give you a Canadian plated car at SEA to "take home" to YVR.

Originally Posted by Foxtbh
b) I read all sorts of horror stories about this particular drop-off branch on here. Are they likely to be as funny about 'damage' with a corporate owned car?
Document any issues with the car before leaving SEA (pictures of the car while still in the stall at the Avis lot). And have them fill out a damage report on the car and take a copy with you. If issues arise, use your proof. That's suggested in all rentals, not just YVR.
Slightly OT: I picked up a 1-way from Avis yesterday at a station I use often. They are a franchise and know their cars well. The corporate car they gave me had dings everywhere. I went inside to have it documented and the agent said "Are they smaller than your palm? If so, no need to document it." LIE! I had them fill out a form on it so I don't get dinged when I take it back to GA this afternoon.