FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX T4-T5 connector tunnel (now open)
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2013, 4:30 pm
OrvilleWright

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Originally Posted by calwatch
However, you have the "gates of doom" between T5 and T6 already. I don't see how this is any different between T4 and T5. If you want to buy yourself more time have gates of doom on either side of the tunnel so that the far gate can be shut once sterility is breached.

On a side note, I hate the "I know why they were but I can't tell you" type responses. If you can't answer the question, then don't.
Part of the problem was in actually getting the gates closed. They don't just come crashing down accompanied by a klaxon sounding. Somebody has to specifically and physically do it. A second problem was in communicating the need to close them. There were delays that resulted in "barn door closed after the horse is gone" and reluctance to adopt proposed solutions. But, those were 2001-2002 problems and may or may not account for 2013 closure.

Sorry you don't like the "I can't tell you," but I can't. And, I did answer the question, subject to some very real limitations. The answer is "There were good reasons at the time." The fact that you don't get to personally see the reasons so you can decide if they met your personal standards is immaterial.