FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choosing to avoid AC on TPAC again...
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2013, 1:42 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I make no secret of my fondness for EVA, However, the introduction of Royal Laurel service on the YYZ-TPE route has been accompanied by fare increases, particularly in business class. The end result is that AC is competitive. I am off to Asia in a couple weeks. I purchased my Z class ticket on AC for approx. $1000 less than on EVA. I have to purchase a couple more RTs and the fare differential is the same, with AC offering a slightly better schedule. Yes, EVA offers a superior inflight experience, with its pre-order meals, much better sleeping pod, helpful ground staff, amazingly fast baggage service, superior wine list and higher quality FAs, but it is pricing itself out of the market for travelers like me. I could fly for even less if I wanted to subject myself to a transfer in a US hub. However, I refuse to fly via the USA whenever possible. I don't have a problem paying more because I know that a transfer through the USA increases the chances of a missed connection or flight delay and subjects me to the belligerent and rude US homeland and TSA security experience. No matter how awful YYZ is, it is always less awful than JFK/EWR/LAX/ORD. The $500 premium on average I pay to fly via Canada is worth it.