FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta In-flight meal/food service: The definitive thread — Archive
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:37 pm
stylo4444

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
If catering is going to improve, especially on <1500 mile routes, Delta will need to drastically overhaul upgrades including saying goodbye to unlimited complementary upgrades. Think Y for FO, B or Y for GM, M, B, or Y for PM, etc. and upgrade space available T-2 hours. These days service is essentially Premium Economy because that is what the fares are. If you want the ability to upgrade from the lowest V fares you are going to have to cut somewhere to not be bankrupt
And until then, I shall be going for the Southwest Chicken Salad for lunch/dinner just with a sigh.

DL can change up some things, but I do not believe they need to completely sacrifice complimentary upgrades for this. But I'm not a part of their Finance team, and all moves these days are made for financial purposes.

One can also make the argument that improve your dining up front and you might have more premium paying passengers. First Class is meant to be First Class. Not Premium Economy, there's a seat and fare for that and if I wanted that seat and that service level I would have gotten it.