FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Google Maps Update. I HATE IT!!
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:22 am
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by jeffcarp
Maps supports both 90 and 180 rotation on Android. In my car mount my power connector is on the left. In a rental it is on the right. The Map is the correct orientation in both scenarios.
That just sounds like 90/270 compatibility (i.e., turn 90-degrees to either the right or left). What it can't do IME is orient it self correctly if you spin your phone/tablet completely upside down, so that if your charger port is normally on the bottom of the phone, it's now on the top.

This is also frustrating for me, as that's the orientation I need to leave my phone in my cupholder and also have access to the charging port.

BTW, as frustrating as the new GMaps is on a mobile device, I somehow despise it EVEN MORE on a computer. I have no idea how to find the old menus, how to get the boxes in the top left out of the way so I can actually see that quarter of the map, and while I just figured out how to show traffic, I miss the ability to look at "usual" traffic for different times of day.

These updates are akin to the new Hangouts app losing the basic IM function of seeing whether or not your contacts are online. Luckily for that, I was able to just sideload Talk back in. ^