FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OT: flying lessons via mightydeals
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:54 am
KARFA
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Had my lesson today. gms was correct in that it was a joint lesson with one other person over the 2 hours. Basically there was me and another guy who had come from Manchester with his dad. His dad was just an observer. The lesson was at Hull Aero Club.

The instructor went through a few basics with me and the other guy for 5 minutes, then we went out to the Cessna 172, got, and were off. The other guy had his hour first. The instructor did the take-off and then handed control over during the truing climb to go towards the Humber Bridge.

We then came back, turned to pass over the coast, and then came back in to the pattern and for a landing. Just as we were going back in to the field, we heard that the Vulcan based at DSA was at HUY and was heading towards Humber Bridge. If we had been ten minutes later we would have been able to see it at the bridge.

After a 5 minute break we swapped seats and were off. I did a bit of taxing towards the runway. We lined up on runway 30 and the instructor did the take-off. I took over and flew up towards Flamborough Head, went around that, and then cam back over the coast turning for the approach back in to the field.

Signpost to airfield.

Plane taxiing as I arrived.

Lining up on runway 30 for first flight.

Hull.

Humber Bridge

Looking across the bridge to the west.

Coming up to the East Yorkshire coast.

View forward.

Banking over the coast.

View along coast to the south.

Just before final turn to runway 30.

Coming in to land.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I found it quite hard to fly the aircraft as there were obviously quite a few things to constantly keep monitoring. It was a little bumpy due to the wind. In the end I was at the controls for just under an hour. I do want to go for my PPL at some stage, perhaps next year. I was also glad I was in the back for one flight as I could take some photos and enjoy the views for a bit before having to concentrate on flying.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 4, 2013 at 2:41 am