FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL - Hot Cabin
Thread: JAL - Hot Cabin
View Single Post
Old Aug 1, 2013, 2:49 pm
R&R

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD
Thumbs down Hot Air is unacceptable MEDICALLY!

The problem of hot cabins and the sensation of coldness has been discussed at length in the past. Any temperature over 78 degrees and the DRY air decreases the exchange of Blood levels ofOxygen & Carbon Dioxide in the lower pressure cabins resulting in shortness of breath, headache, anxious feelings, etc.

Raising to a higher cabin temp is more a fuel savings move, then increasing comfort resulting in sweating and breathing problems, gasping for air. I can only guess how people with Chronic Pulmonary Disease must feel, when I can feel it with good lungs. There must be many who don't tolerate long distance flights, but the FA don't really understand it or forgotten and more likely to complain of difficult passengers.

Since the low Humidity level of heated air in the cabin at high altitudes is also important in the sensations of cold 'chilly' by many passengers, who complain about the temperature rather then knowing about humidity and oxygen exchange in the lungs. Isn't this reason for feeling better flying with higher cabin pressure and humidity technology in the new 787's, which many comment positively about after their 787 flights?
It is one of Boeing's BEST selling points for the 787's comfort!

Telling the Flight attendants that it 'feels' too cold is a subjective personal feeling, although many with Low Metabolism only add to the complaints! Better they wear a sweat shirt and use a blanket, then raise the temperature over 78 degrees! It is medically unsound to raise the temperature above 78 degrees and expect to sufficient oxygen from my experience. These are reasons I wear a wrist watch and have accurate thermometers at home, that give current constant temperature readings, while traveling and for comfort day & night.
Casio makes several accurate digital wrist watches under $50.00, that do the job accurately. At best, I can tell the FA to tell the Captain the cabin temperature is approaching 80 or even 70 degrees with accuracy. He will know what to do, even it they don't!!!!!

Airlines raising the temperature to 80-82 degrees should be reported to some governing Agency. It is interesting that most complaints on these Forums are about the Japanese airlines discomfort.