FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Old Jul 30, 2013, 5:43 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by EIPremier
Perhaps elite boarding slows things down slightly, but I don't think that's the main issue. It's the fact that people still try to take too many carry-ons on board. Even my soft-sided bag which can often times fit underneath the seat, they still insisted on gate checking. On the A319 I was flying, everyone in Group 5 had to gate check their bags. The only reason I was in Group 5 is because I didn't get to the gate until 20 minutes before departure.
We were all left standing in the jetway while they fiddled around with tagging the bags and finally gave us claim checks. This wasted at least 10 minutes. In the end, they closed the door about 5 minutes prior to sched and pushed back 2 minutes early.

Without the gate checking, they would have completed boarding in under 15 minutes.
I think you are right. This argues for eliminating bag fees (and possibly introducing a carry on fee). The upshot for UA is that by reducing boarding time to 20 minutes they can get more flights out of the same a/c and increase efficiency. This should more than make up for the lost bag fee revenue.