FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Shenanigans? [Consolidated] {Archive}
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:57 pm
colpuck
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I won't post the flight info or route until I decide whether to report this or not, but I witnessed some pretty clear upgrade shenanigans on a UAX flight yesterday.

CR7, 2+ hour flight, F is full, 7+ people on the upgrade list. Everyone boards, one empty seat remains, GA calls up a military person (not in uniform, but who preboarded with ID) to take the seat...in the ensuing discussion, it turns out the GA is ex-military and half the F cabin is current military (it appears 1 paid, 1 upgraded legitimately and the bad upgrade), and they are all chatting about this before the door closes.

Now my views on upgrades, pre-boarding and other special services for military are well known on FT, so I don't want to go there - the issue for me is this GA was really great. The flight was delayed significantly, he remained calm, communicated well, handled multiple customer inquiries, went above and beyond to help a couple of passengers, and even shower humor during boarding - in short, an excellent GA.

The problem is he violated the upgrade priority system, did not process the list and used his personal preference to upgrade someone, and I have my doubts this was an isolated incident, thus I would like to write in and ask that the GA be reminded of the standard process, but still be recognized for excellent service delivery.

I guess I can send in an email that points out how well he performed his job, then cover the upgrade situation, but I wanted to ask the community for suggestions on how to ensure a positive outcome.
This is a legitimate complaint.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I still need to write in about this trip because upon arrival at my destination, my gate checked back with the yellow handle wrapper was the last bag brought up to the jetway and when I asked the ramp agent why and explained the yellow wrap bags should be the first brought up, he snickered, made a snide remark and started to laugh, then went to his coworkers outside and had a good laugh about it - so this group needs retraining for sure.
This is not a legitimate complaint. Nowhere have you been promised that you will get your bag faster if it has a yellow handle. You jeopardize your legitimate complaint when you make frivolous ones.