FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Capital Venture One
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:12 pm
pdxasflyer

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by cbn42
If you want to get international F rewards, then an airline-branded card will probably be better for you.
That's kind of what we figured. Redeeming 1.4Million Miles (converted to dollars on the CapOne card) vs. 140,000 miles for the same ticket just didn't compare at all.

[QUOTE-WrightHI]That doesn't help if you're after AS miles, but possibly worth noting that SPG Amex earns 1.25 miles/$ if transferred in 20K increments. Whether that justifies an additional $65 annual fee depends on how much spend you're putting across it. [/QUOTE]
The SPG Amex is definitely one card we're looking at given the 1.25 transfer ratio, which is definitely worth the $65 annually given what it costs to purchase that same amount of miles from AS (our annual spend would be in excess of $40k). The only con I can see is Amex acceptance, but we can supplement with the AS branded card.

I can't see using the CSP Card, unless we supplemented that with obtaining the BA Exec Club card from Chase as well to accumulate BA Miles. CSP won't allow transfers to AS, and we're not UA flyers. The 1:1 transfer isn't really a big seller either because if we wanted AS miles, why not just use the branded card and get 2x miles on AS airfare purchases, a companion certificate annually and (I think) 2,000 anniversary bonus miles? For that matter, the same would hold true with the BA Exec Club Chase Card, where the sign up bonus is 50,000 Avios vs CSP's 40k bonus miles?

Again, it seems a lot of people are clamoring for these cards, but just want to make sure I'm not missing something else, but can (and do) see how it's dependent on who their preferred carrier/hotel chain for amassing points/miles might be.

Thanks again for the help and input! Really appreciate it.