FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Le Méridien Koh Samui Resort & Spa, Thailand [Master Thread]
Old Jul 30, 2013, 7:36 am
harrisoned

Hey guys, just wanted to give you my experience at the LM Koh Samui after staying there for three nights on my honeymoon. We had a really nice stay here, but after comparing it to the three other hotels we visited (St. Regis Bangkok, Chedi Chiang Mai, Six Senses Yao Noi), we both said it was our least-favorite (though still a very good) hotel.

Compared to some of the other resorts we went through during our stay in Koh Samui (going out to dinner at the Hansar and at Zazen), the Le Meridien is comparatively small and feels a little cramped - the buildings are quite close together. However, the two areas you will spend the most time (other than your room) - the poolside bar/restaurant and the main lobby - are quite spacious and nice. It was never difficult to get a lounge chair by the pool and the lobby area was usually empty other than during cocktail hour.

Since it was our honeymoon, the GM, Tina, provided us with an upgrade to a plunge pool room despite the hotel being close to capacity and my SPG status only being Gold. Additionally, the hotel also left a really beautiful rose pedal heart on the bed as well as some chocolates. No champagne, but overall it was a nice touch. The room was decent-sized, though felt smaller because it was very compartmentalized - there was a front sitting area (no A/C), the main bedroom, as well as an outdoor shower/vanity/toilet (covered), with the plunge pool in between that area and the bedroom.

My least favorite part of the room was definitely the bathroom - not because of bugs or anything, but because the toilet was not completely hidden by a wall or door. I love my wife but I don't need to see her on the toilet (nor she see me!). Additionally, there was a strange half-step down between the plunge pool walkway and the toilet/shower, which nearly caused me to break my ankle one groggy night.

Service throughout the hotel was quite strong for a 4-star hotel - waiters came by often to ask for drinks or offer more nuts - and there were always extra towels waiting for you if you took a dip in the pool. Additionally, the bars offered two-for-one drink specials during happy hour, which was a nice way to relax after a day at the beach.

As for food, we only ate once at the resort - breakfast. The buffet was quite good, but a bit pricey. They had a full omelet station, fresh breads, fruit, muesli, granola and smoked salmon & cheese, plus the usual breakfast meats. They also had pad thai and some other less western options for those who felt a bit more adventurous for breakfast.

We felt the location of the hotel was good, as it was a short walk down to Lamai beach (our favorite of the main beaches on Koh Samui), but its own beach was small and the water was not swimmable. We also found that for one reason or another, we preferred heading down to Bophut for dinner, so it was a little inconvenient to take a 20 minute taxi each time. No trouble finding taxis or anything like that though.

Overall, I think if I were to go back, I would want to try out one of the private pool suites, as our only real quibbles were with the size and layout of the room we were in. Tina did a great job at making us feel welcome and the resort was just right for 3 days. If we were to stay longer on Samui, we might want to find somewhere that had a bit more of a footprint to walk around, but otherwise the resort lived up to expectations.