FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best backup chain?
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:59 pm
TravelinSperry

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hello all,

Just an update on my experience as a Accor Platinum member (using as one of my backup chains where Starwood has no footprint).

First, I stayed in Starwood in Warsaw and Krakow and was treated wonderfully, with suite upgrades in both locations. So I rode into my next non-Starwood hotel expecting the worst. Plus I received Accor Platinum for free (via some upgrade link, perhaps on FT). So I really was expecting the worst.

I showed up at the Sofitel in Wroclaw and actually felt welcomed. They mentioned my status and offered the following as an Accor Platinum member:
1- Upgraded room on the top floor with a view.
2- Fruit plate as a welcome gift.
3- Free water
4- International newspaper delivered (at my request - is not offered as a standard benefit to guests).
5- Concierge welcome call 10 minutes after I entered room to see if I needed anything (which I did, I wanted to have some laundry picked up).

Of course what I missed most:
1- No suite
2- No free breakfast

Wifi is free for all - so no difference here.

While I'm not about to switch primary chains, I was pleasantly surprised to receive anything at all since I really didn't do anything to earn Platinum. I thought the room upgrade and fruit plate were a nice touch. And while she was surprised at the request, the front desk lady agreeing to provide me with the paper was also appreciated. I'd say Accor did as good a job as possible to cement my loyalty gong forward and that's saying something since I usually just book secondary hotels without much consideration.

It also makes me remember to be a bit nicer when I show up to my next Starwood stay in a few days and not be such a curmudgeon if everything doesn't go my way. The amount of benefits we receive as SPG Plats are pretty stellar in comparison.

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Jul 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm Reason: typo