FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mumbai CSIA [BOM] connection/departure experience reports
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:08 pm
rprr

Originally Posted by andymell
I've done connections onto the KE flight arriving as late as midnight without any issues. 9W may be able to interline for you. Are both flights on the same reservation (PNR)? If so, then interline will be more straightforward. If not, then you will need to show the KE reservation details at the counter. The one time I interlined to KE at BOM it was a little odd -- they had my luggage at their check-in counter. So, when I came to check-in, they found it and re-tagged it. This was nice is that I was confident that my luggage was not going to be lost on the transfer.

Regardless if whether you are interlining luggage or not, you'll need to go to the domestic baggage claim area to board the transfer bus. This will take you to the normal outside drop-off at the international terminal where you'll go through security, check-in, customs, security just lite a passenger originating in Mumbai. If you prefer, you could arrange a private car. They may still be traffic at 11 PM -- the bus avoids the traffic by driving inside the airport.

On arrival at the international terminal, you'll find plenty of porters ready and often able to assist you with your luggage and through the crowds to your check-in counter. Agree on a price before they take your luggage.

All-in, this will be a bit of an annoying connection due to the dom->intl transfer. And, if you can't interline your luggage you'll have to carry it a little ways (from the baggage claim to the bus). But, you've left plenty of time. Honestly, my biggest concern would be getting through security at the domestic terminal at midnight and having to spend three hours is that heckhole.
Andymell-- many thanks for your detailed response.

I am getting the tickets booked through a travel agent so that everything will be on the same PNR. I am hoping that they can check their bags through to the final destination on KE. I was just a little bit worried if the interline baggage transfer at BOM would go ok between 9W and KE.

They have a further connection to the US at ICN on KE053 to HNL and then an inter island connection on Hawaiian Air at HNL. There will be a 7 hour layover at ICN; I am planning for them to rest at the transit hotel at ICN. Hopefully, it is only a short walk and easy to find.

This is their first ever trip to the US. Trying to make it as easy as possible for them. This was the shortest and least expensive routing I could find.