FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:13 pm
bldr1k

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have gone thru my fares YTD (20+ RTs), all domestic, the base fares have run 84% to 92% (averaging 88%) of total fares. Understand certain international airports (sometimes based on cabin) can have additional taxes but I will need to leave those to others to run the numbers. So, for now, 2x $10K estimates appear to be a bit on the extreme side.
2X might be the case if you buy cheap roundtrips to Europe (my last one was 45% tax). I looked at my last 4 trips:

SFO-FRA 880 Base 698 Tax
SFO-PEK 2713 Base 457 Tax
DEN FRA (through IAD) 1032 Base 693 Tax
DEN-AMS (through IAH) 1543 Base 590 Tax

This puts me at 71% for 4 international fares.

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Yeah if I was a 2MM I would not fly UA. It is pretty much a garbage airline right now. I would fly whomever would deliver the best service and schedule, knowing of course that I could fly UA whenever and still have status.
It really depends on whether you have another choice. Living in Colorado I don't. If I lived in NY, LA, Atlanta I would not be on United.

I would not say that UA is garbage though. I would take e+ over coach on LH, ANA, Emirates, and most others.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 25, 2013 at 9:38 pm Reason: merge