FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:50 pm
aacharya
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smsanso
Hey All,

Read through this thread (and the thread from the last few years) and was curious to get you all's advice. Based on the below, do you think it's worth it for me to go for 1K?

Currently Premier Gold with Premier Platinum pending based on travel booked between now and the end of the year. Never had status before this year, but now living in a hub (IAD) and working in the private sector for the first time. As of now (assuming no unexpected business trips), I'll end up with around 79,000 PQM for the year. I do a good mix of leisure and business travel, domestic and international. I place a bit of value on the increased upgrade chances, but would likely derive most of my benefit from the GPUs and lack of change fees on awards.

I'm not particularly able to do any MRs this fall (although I see in the MR forum that a couple of jaunts to ANC would do the trick.) At what price would it be worthwhile to purchase the additional PQMs? Right now, the best offer I've received is around 15.2 CPPQM (which doesn't seem worth it to me).

Thanks for any and all advice you're able to provide...
Fly on some mileage runs. The best you might get buying miles is 12 CPM. Still way too much when you can fly for 4 to 6 CPM.

If you get within a few thousand then it might be worth buying the rest.