FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Flight Attendant Q&A Thread [2013 and Onward]
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:27 pm
tuolumne

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I'm an sCO FA and perhaps I can maybe make it a little bit easier for you. AFAIK the 3 original sCO bases (EWR, IAH & CLE) are closed to new hires, and they are being sent to the 5 satellite bases (ORD, SFO, LAX, DEN & IAD). Exception is if you are hiring on as a language speaker then you will get sent to either EWR or IAH. EWR & IAH are further subdivided into International/Domestic/Speaker, while the CLE & the 5 satellite bases are strictly domestic flying. So it would depend on where you want to live etc. Keep in mind though they don't always go by your first preference etc. For example a friend of mine recently started with the sCO and she preference EWR, but got sent to LAX instead so keep that in mind. I'm NTA (Newark Intl FA Base) based, and I love it been NTA from the beginning. Also our system is different then sUAs. For example we position bid so you know exactly what position you will be working before you get to the airport. For example you are asked to work a flight on a 738 and are given the FA03 position FM01 (that's the lead FA position) works top of bar cart in Y, FA01 works first class galley, FA02 works bottom of bar cart Y, and FA03 works First class aisle. Also FA03 once they are done serving the last row of F, then they will go back to Y and work off the Y F4S cart. Also our terminology is a bit different. At sCO lead FAs on domestic flights are called "Flight Service Coordinators", while on international flights they are called "International Service Managers." Hope I'm not sounding too confusing trying to give you as much information as I can. Good luck and hope to see you on a flight soon!
All those names are thankfully going away when you guys integrate.