FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "How to Keep/Refresh Expiring Miles" Thread [ARCHIVE]
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:53 pm
Anovice

Originally Posted by keisari
Welcome to FT
If you used award miles that came from your UA account, that should be valid for extension of your miles. Should I assume you used somebody else's account for the award travel?
Your options are either spending or posting some new miles.
You can buy some magazines with miles (as low as 500 miles) or you can use one of the links on UA.com to purchase stuff (from tons of providers) that will give you some miles.
If you have a co-branded Chase card then you can avoid all this hassle.

On a different note, why keep 300,000 miles around. It ain't no retirement fund and chances are the miles will devaluate faster than most investments.
Thank you for your welcome!

I stand corrected on the award travel. I have been going through a lot. The miles came from my US Airways account, who also partners with Copa.

I am magazined out, but to spend 500 miles is certainly fine.

Regarding your other suggestion to purchase something from UA.com, while I can't think of anything that I particularly need or want, I will check. So long as the dollars are minimal and I can find something useful, this could be an alternative to wasting 500 miles on another magazine to collect dust.

Regarding your question, I did a significant amount of traveling from 2004 through 2007 and did not think much about the miles. 2008-2010 I used about 250,000 miles. 2011 through March 2013 I was taking care of my mother who had acute myeloid leukemia and I never once thought of the miles.

I am really trying to get this process (extending my miles) over a quickly as possible while using the fewest amount of miles or spending the fewest amount of dollars.

Thanks for you help.

Anovice