FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2013-2016).
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:15 am
bonflier

new user on this forum.

so, I was able to use these VISA/MC a month or two ago by doing purchases at the local grocery stores and getting actual cash back with a purchase (using the debit pin). I tried doing this this week at 3 different stores.. and it's a no go.. I guess VISA/MC stopped allowing this.

also, I tried hitting 2 walmarts. only 1 had one of those "money" machines.. but the "MO" service said was temporarily unavailable.. is this the limit issue people are talking about? 2nd walmart had no such machine. so I tried the Money Center.. guy said the debit gift cards just don't work.. I'd swipe the card, it would show "CANCEL" for like 1 second.. but then the next screen came up letting me choose ATM/DEBIT, which I did. It just didn't work.

Last attempt was my local Fry's Food (Kroger). I asked the lady at cust service if I could buy a MO with a DEBIT card.. she said "sure". And it worked easy as pie... was also just $.49 for the MO fee.

Question: What's the purpose of these VISA/MC (I guess USBank issued, etc) in preventing from getting the actual cash value back? I mean, they are already making the $5-6 per gift card purchased?

Also, why would Walmart not allow using these debit gift cards to buy MOs .. or some do and some don't? do they lose out somehow? Sorry for the newb question.

Slightly Off Topic: It really is just money moving around electronically.. shouldn't one be able to go into a bank and do a checking account deposit using another bank's debit card? Why must purchasing "goods/services" be required?