FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using SkyMiles on SkyTeam & Other Partners: The Discussion Thread
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:04 pm
mtkeller

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by stephem
Routing rules: CI and CZ both have a fare filed JFK-DPS so that's no problem, but can I only follow the routings specified in these fares? For example, CZ allows routing CAN-JKT-DPS but I'd ideally like to try to route them CAN-SIN-DPS (with the final segment on KL). The CI fare is an MPM fare, and JFK-KIX-DPS is obviously acceptable, but can I route JFK-KIX-TPE-SIN-DPS. Can I route one of these carriers through SIN?
Published routings only matter when trying to use a routing that's way over the MPM. JFK-LAX-CAN-SIN is over the MPM by less than 5%. Based on best knowledge at present, this should be fine. JFK-KIX-TPE-SIN-DPS is under the MPM, so it would be fine.

Stopover: I'd like to route them outbound thru SIN and have them stop and meet up with us there. I know I can do under 24 hours or open jaw between SIN-DPS and just pick up a cheap KL ticket, but would like to maximize the business class experience for them. Can I do JFK-LAX-CAN-SIN(stopover)-DPS?
That should be fine.

4 segment limit: If I cannot find them space on the JFK-LAX nonstop, does a JFK-MSP-LAX flight really count as 2 segments (or are there any connections that have the same flt# and count as 1 segment)? If so that would seem to rule out using CZ if I cannot find a nonstop flight for JFK-LAX, and would also rule out transiting through SIN.
Yes, JFK-MSP-LAX counts as two segments, unless you find a direct flight with award availability. This is pretty rare, as DL tends to release it on the component flights. In any case, I'd be surprised to find any direct JFK-LAX flights that have a stop somewhere in the US. If you want the SIN stopover and can't find low award space JFK-LAX (don't rule out Y…you won't find J), I'd suggest paying cash for the flight to LAX.