FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2013: The Great Alaska ADQ Do (7/24-7/27)
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:03 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FortFun
What time should one arrive at ANC in order to catch AS 47 (which is at 6:45 now, right, as opposed to what it says in post #2?).

Basically, how long to get through security that time of day?
Sorry...I know I do need to update many of the listed times in post #2.

Security is not bad that time in the morning (much later and it could get tighter). Pretty much any elite from any alliance that serves ANC (that is, all three alliances) can get priority security at ANC, plus there's PreCheck (although I don't know if it will be open that early in the morning--one of the other locals have a word of advice on that?).

Personally, as an elite at that time in the morning, I'd be fine with arriving at the security checkpoint ~10-15 minutes before boarding is scheduled to begin (so, with AS, that's ~50-55 minutes before flight departure), but I know others like to cut things a little less close than I do, so adjust to your personal taste. Even with bags to check and at peak travel times, I actually can't remember the last time I arrived at the airport terminal with more than 50 minutes before departure. Of course, I was a sweaty mess by the time I got to the gate (both from narrowly missing the 40-minute baggage cutoff and running to the gate so they didn't give away my seat). But that's me.

Note for those flying Era: no security, so no need to get to the gate much more than 30ish minutes before departure (again, adjusting accordingly for your personal preferences ). Might want to be a bit earlier to the ticket counter to get your boarding pass, if necessary. I think the three locals will be arriving at the airport probably an hour before departure ().