FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:28 am
Phoenixtinct

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rjbinney
Yeah, I'd read the sticky... The best data I'd found was Parker's 'three to six month' comment, and was just wondering if anyone had better insight.

'Coz I guess the other major question is, are they still thinking Day Zero is circa November? Or has that accelerated?

(Currently an expat, so I don't get my usual USAir Philly news without some effort!)

So thanks and 'cheers' to anyone with any good new info?

Likewise, what would others do in similar situation?
I don't believe Day 0 will be in November or that it was ever presented to be. Everything I've heard is that they plan to complete the merger in the 3rd quarter. We are nearing the end of July and are already in the 3rd quarter, so it could happen anytime now. I just read few days ago that US Airways shareholders approved the proposed merger, so as long as the government approvals are in place, it should be finished. I suspect Day 0 will be at some point in August. If you want to be sure you can get credit in your US Divident account in December, then book US Airways (although they only fly to Brazil as far as I know) or ultimately, open an AAdvantage account (if you don't have one already) and fly a OW carrier - LAN and AA cover a lot of South America. Eventually, you'll be able to combine your US and AA balances and you'll end up with 1 account. As to the speculation if US will credit *A flights after they leave the alliance, the answer is almost certainly NO. When airlines severe a relationship with a partner or leave an alliance, there usually is a cut-off date and you can't get any benefits (including mileage accrual) beyond that. They will post that in advance but may still not be sufficient for you if you book far out.