FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Consolidated "Is United 1K Status Worth It? - 2013/14 Edition
Old Jul 20, 2013, 11:14 am
WineCountryUA
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I have gone thru my fares YTD (20+ RTs), all domestic, the base fares have run 84% to 92% (averaging 88%) of total fares. Understand certain international airports (sometimes based on cabin) can have additional taxes but I will need to leave those to others to run the numbers. So, for now, 2x $10K estimates appear to be a bit on the extreme side.
Are taxes the only part excluded from "qualifying" dollars? ...
what I used was the item list as "airfare"
FARE INFORMATION
Fare Breakdown
Airfare:
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax:
U.S. Flight Segment Tax:
September 11th Security Fee:
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge:
Per Person Total:
eTicket Total:
Originally Posted by mitchmu
...I noted clearly that that a major portion of the incremental was value attached to time and frustration for tracking and fighting with CO.
If you feel the need to self-track versus letting UA, then with the purchase info, the deriving the airfare info takes 30 secs -- maintaining a personal spreadsheet would be well under 5 minutes (closer to 1-2 minutes) per trip. This includes the extra time to add back in fuel surcharges and any other item we learn will be counted. The one tough case will be non-UA ticket stock itin with UA segments -- but for most this not a common case. Hard to see this self tracking amounting to thousands of dollars of personal time to reach "$20K" level need.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No, RN always equals R unfortunately...there is no 1K/elite benefit with that bucket ....
even with multiple posted statements to contrary
I will agree it is very rare and a very minimal benefit but have seen it one or twice, it does happen. RN is NOT always equal R -- but usually does.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 20, 2013 at 11:24 am Reason: self merge