FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Future of Dulles Airport [and Metro line]
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:57 pm
rodmanlama

Originally Posted by DELee
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

My question is about the Silver Line: How are people supposed to get from the current end stop to the terminal? Is there sufficient infrastructure in place to bring the line all the way to the terminal in the future?

David
If by the current end stop you mean Wiehle Avenue (the end of the first phase of the project) then I believe the plan as of right now is to truncate the existing bus service to West Falls Church at Wiehle and drop passengers off there instead. As far as bringing the station to the terminal in the future, I think that ship has sailed. It would be prohibitively expensive to rebuild the terminal alignment as most of it right now is supposed to be on aerial guideway. The old tunnel alignments were supposed to follow a similar path meaning that in the future if you wanted to put something underground closer to the terminal it would involve a service outage for a long period of time while the foundations for the proposed piers are removed.

If you mean the airport station on phase two, then the answer to your question is the existing pedestrian tunnel underneath the hourly lot bowl in front of the terminal. The station will have elevators and escalators that will tie into that tunnel allowing access to the terminal.

As far as C/D vs. E/F goes, the construction of a new Tier II would involve the extension of the west APM tunnels to serve the new concourse D. This would significantly add to the cost of the project.

For a new Tier III, the station has been excavated below grade (a separate station from the existing one for C currently in service). If you look at satellite photos you can actually see a building above the current hole in the ground. It isn't finished out with Fire Protection or any other subsystems, thats why I refer to it as a shell. If you somehow got to ride the APM past where it ends at C right now, you'd pass through it on the way to the maintenance facility at the south end of the terminal area.

Regarding Landside connectivity, MWAA has reserved space for a possible landside APM. I'm not saying they have any active plans to build one, but they have a free envelope infront of the terminal and in the surrounding areas if they chose to build one, say out to the employee lot or the rental car facilities. As far as one for the IAB goes, I don't know what the deal is on that. I'll have to ask my buddy some questions, but I do know that they have some plans that might be a wee bit different from the existing master plan that nobody wants to confirm or deny if you catch my drift.