FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Luxury Hotel
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:47 am
mike_la_jolla

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I must say that I'm thoroughly amused by this 'Savoy fashion police' diversion. This sort of cr*p would never be tolerated in California. For those of you defending the Savoy and its stupid, arbitrary dress policy, well ....

I don't entirely see why you chose to sport the jeans, tennis shoes Steve Jobs look at Gordon Ramsay's restaurant and then complain that you were turned away. Just because you are in IT doesn't mean you can flaunt the sports jacket and tie requirement.. It's similar to wearing swim trunks and flip flops to a fine dining meal..
Working in 'IT'? I assume that's supposed to be an insult. I don't know anybody working in 'IT' that can afford the Savoy, unless they own the company. Mr. Ramsay is at or near bankruptcy. Perhaps refusing to serve customers like me has contributed to his problems? Maybe Mr. Ramsay should consider taking my money. I would have spent $250+ at his restaurant had I not checked out of the Savoy during my stay. I wonder how often this little soap opera gets repeated. Often enough, I suspect, to impact the bottom line. Not a single fine dining restaurant in La Jolla attempts to enforce a dress code. The last one that did, Jakes, went under in a spectacular fashion.

Education doesn't measure up to your shoes. I prefer smart casual people with a brain that Russian girls on high heels with Dior or Prada outfits who will laugh loudly. I will not go to Savoy anymore before they change their stupid policy.
Dead on. Can you imagine how you have responded at an Aman if you were hassled on your 'fashion'?

If there is whining now about how I was dressed, just wait until the 'GEN Y' dudes make it to the point where they can afford the Savoy. After that are the 'Millennials'. These new generations aren't going to even consider tolerating these stupid and geriatric dress policies. Number 3 here: Generation difference #3: Generation Y and Dress Codes

I have seen hideous leopard spotted sweatpants and gucci gold lettered shirts at FS Park Lane
And THAT ruined your entire stay? Really? Could you elaborate?

or are they just unclear and do not always say no sportswear and shorts even though that is the case?
regardless, "Smart trainers and denim are acceptable" at savoy grill
Kage -- The problem here is that if you are staying at the Savoy, you must cross the lobby to get to the Savoy Grill. That means dodging the Savoy lobby fashion police. So the stated policy of the restaurant is squashed by the fashion policy of the Savoy.