FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Significant Fare Differences Between United Site and ITA Matrix
Old Jul 15, 2013, 7:11 am
ITA Hacker
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by Triestino
Thank you all for the information/suggestions that you shared. I waited a few days to see if the UA fare(s) would even get somewhat close to the quoted ITA Matrix fares, Hipmunk, or Kayak. Interestingly, not once could I find a match. Just now, I tried the following flight segments and still received very different results:

20AUG13
SFO (UA712) 9:32AM --> DEN (UA452) 1:50PM --> IAD (UA4832) 9:59PM ---> SYR -Arrive 11:31PM

24AUG13
SYR (UA5900) 9:25AM --> ORD (UA1723) 12:00PM --> SFO Arrive 2:31PM

I can't seem to add the screenshots; however, I received the following fare quotes:

ITA Matrix = $555.50 RT (T-Fares for all segments)
Hipmunk = $702 RT (A mix of K,W, and S Fares)
United Site = $816 RT (Mostly W fares)
Kayak = $656 (Mix of L, W, and S fares)

I do apologize for asking, but perhaps someone on this forum can help me secure a better fare. I would like to fly UA so that I can gain some additional miles (only a UA Mileage member at this time); however, I'm just looking to get 5K miles (total) on this run at the lowest fare possible. An additional point is that I can fly from SJC airport as well.

Thank you to all that have responded to my 'noobie' question

P.S. As an aside, Kayak mentions that I should wait to purchase my ticket as it claims with "85% confidence", that the fare will go down. Should I wait or is the suggestion off.
Unfortunately, the outbound flight is no longer available in T class, the cheapest we're showing at the moment is outbound in S, return in T for $580.50. That price is valid, but it requires married (O&D) availability on both the outbound and the return, so most sites will have trouble showing that price to you if you use the multi-city search.

I was able to get a working like for united.com for that price by entering the matrix routing codes for these specific flights into Hipmunk.