FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Need ideas for trip to Anchorage - with kids
Old Jul 14, 2013, 2:42 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by MariaP
Thanks for that info Jackal. When does it start getting cool/cold? I don't do cold if I can help it.

I would have to fly into ANC but would I be better off purchasing tickets and heading to another city from there? Or is it the same issue everywhere?
With four days, you probably can spend a night in Anchorage then drive to Seward. Lots of budget-friendly things to do on the way between Anchorage and Seward. Great scenery, gold panning is pretty cheap, Winner Creek Trail is unique with the hand tram, Wildlife Conservation Center, Byron Glacier Trail, Portage Glacier boat tour, Begich Boggs Visitor Center and more. Most of that is free or quite inexpensive.

Then once in Seward there is the Sealife Center and the excellent Kenai Fjords NP boat tours.

If you changed to September, make it the first half of the month. By shortly after Labor Day a lot of touristy type activities start shutting down. There is a reason the prices drop

It should be pretty pleasant through 10-15 September. After that it can definitely get cool, especially at night. But if you don't venture off north into the interior like Denali, it should be pretty nice weather still in early September.

You might look into the private cabin at the Girdwood Hostel (about 1 hour south of Anchorage). It is really nice, totally self-contained with kitchen, shower, toilet. For three people I think it is $100 or less. It wouldn't be ideal to base yourself there if you go to Seward, but if you get into Anchorage early enough in the day, you can stay in Girdwood instead of Anchorage, greatly reducing your lodging costs.

Book some rental car now. You can always change/cancel it later for no charge. Keep checking rates once you book since prices can drop. autoslash.com can also help in this regard.