FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Luxury Hotel
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:48 pm
submonte

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I agree. I checked in. Then I got hassled because of my casual attire. I could not get across the lobby without being stopped by security. I wasn't allowed into the bar nor the restaurant. I promptly checked out and became hotel-less. The Lanesborough came to my rescue, so I didn't have to sleep in the streets.

As to the Savoy -- I will never return. I will never even CONSIDER returning to the Savoy. The Savoy has worked hard to join a very select personal s-list that includes Plaza New York, PH Tokyo, Alpina Gstaad, and Caneel Bay.

Others here can argue FS PL vs FS CW vs Lanesborough vs Connaught et al. London has a lot of good choices. But the Savoy ain't on that list.

Personally, I preferred the Lanesborough to FS PL.
Glad I found by accident this thread, which gives me the opportunity to recall my memories of my Savoy stay.

I have staid in many LHW group hotels, this is none of them, but The Savoy is an excellent luxury hotel in terms of service, rooms, restaurant facilities. I staid there 2 nights this easter. Had afternoon tea, with excellent "English" service, and breakfast. The location at Strand is not my first choice (Mayfair preferred).

What annoyed me were people with what you call "casual attire". I call it bad taste and slovenly clothed. I would stop those guests as well if I were responsible, there is nothing for them to find there. They really destroy the traditional atmosphere of this extraordinary beautiful best renovated hotel with that great history, and not the Fairmont management or the service staff. The less guests like this come, the more often I will stay at The Savoy when I am in London.