FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Road to Hana" thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:21 am
beckoa
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CPRich
I don't think traffic will be very different weekend/weekday - I suspect most tourist are like me and don't pay attention to the date/day, and there isn't a lot of local traffic on that road.

If you're just arriving, doing it the first day might work well. You'll be up very early Hawaii time, so any businesses/activities/etc won't be open. And if you're in Wailea/Lahaina/Ka'anapali, it takes an hour to get to the beginning of the good part. So leave at 5am and be past Paia in search of waterfalls not long after sun-up, beating almost all of the crowds.

It also gives you plenty of time. We left Ka'anapali just before 7a last week and still had to keep an eye on the clock to leave Kapahulu in time to beat sundown. I could easily have used more time on the Pipiwai Trail.

(Haleakala for sunrise is another 1st morning choice - 2nd morning you'll still be up early for Hana)
Doing Haleakala and Hana in one day is a bit much- splitting those up is great advice ^