FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid data options for travellers to HK
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:24 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by Letitride3c:20950097
China Mobile HK's mobile data add-on is inexpensive, $18 for 7 days and $38 (HKD) for 30 days - it's not the fast 4G or 3G when I last used it - just 2.5G/Edge, slow but workable for email & mobile browsing, not for streaming video. (I have the 1C2N prepaid with same add-on options & rates) That's about $5 USD for 30 days of unlimited access (maybe a hidden cap, never a problem at 2.5G speed for me, YMMV)

"Theworld" updated the summary and PCCW in HK (with access to more WiFi hotspots) is highly recommended, although I'll most likely stick with CMHK for the time being as my m
ainland # is very useful while traveling. And, IDD calls (directly dialed from handset) to USA are very, very cheap.
I have had this card for a few days now. The reception is good, but data is, as expected, pretty slow. Emails and instant messaging are fine, but for web browsing, even a page with a moderate amount of images tend to load pretty slowly. The price can't be beat though.

Btw, MTR in HK just started a free wifi service in all of their stations. The problem is that the covered area within the station is pretty small. There might be only one hotspot in the entire station. Hopefully they will expand the coverage in the future.