FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:00 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by FATFlyer
I lived on the Central Coast before a job move inland several decades ago. Still have several friends in the SLO area. But have enjoyed the access from here to the National Parks for camping.

Seat 2A is probably correct that it was the former Butterfields now Sequoia Brewing in the Tower District. There is now a second location in north Fresno about a mile or two off 41. Neither Full Circle Brewing nor Tioga-Sequoia were around years ago and don't have food.

That's right, the name change was a year later in 1981.

Problem for Air 21 was they started short on money. They took to the air in late 1995 with only $4 million hoping to attract passengers and more investment once they were operating. ValuJet 592 happened in May 1996 and startup airlines were out of favor with both passengers and investors. I flew several flights on and knew several people at Air 21, nice little operation that didn't get a real chance to develop.

A little trivia back for you. One of the Air 21 aircraft (N498US) ended up at Horizon Air and was operated with the name "Great City of Fresno" (Horizon named F28 aircraft for its cities). Fitting name for the former Air 21 aircraft.
Excellent commentary and much appreciated.....

And it's also interesting to note that another new start-up (which I believe was initially based in Fresno but is now based in the Las Vegas area) did not share the same fate as Air 21 but instead became a successful air carrier......

I'm referring to Allegiant Air, of course, which recently made the cover of Aviation Week & Space Technology as an example of a successful airline company, although they are actually more of a travel company and not just an air carrier.....