View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 13, 1:44 pm
billycwhatup

I can't comment on the condition of the hotel before the renovation, but I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised with a recent six night stay.

As a Marriott Platinum, I'm "testing the Hyatt waters" with the Diamond challenge. Part of my perception is definitely colored through that prism, but a few thoughts:

1. Check-in was a little disappointing. Arrived at noon hoping to get a room - was told that it would be 3pm. Fair enough - that was check-in time and they seemed to be rather full.

2. A rather large production was made about the effort being expended to get two adjoining rooms even though it had been confirmed. Reading the many posts of Diamonds getting suites, I had hoped that we might get a suite with an adjoining room (thus my previous post). In any case, we ended up with two standard-fare rooms.

3. As underwhelmed as I was by the intangibles, it really was a great stay. Service was surprisingly good. Housekeeping came with random stuffed animals for my kids. The wait staff in the restaurant were personal and outstanding during breakfast. By day two of six, I didn't even have to ask for my high-maintenance egg while omelet.

4. The pool and gym were both excellent. For me, my big "wants" in a gym are good cardio (check), TV on the cardio (check) and good wifi in case I want to stream something off my ipad while I run (check). The pool had plenty of chairs, plenty of towels, decent bar service.

5. The self-parking was plentiful and literally a one minute walk to the rear entrance of the hotel. I'm all for splurging on all sorts of things, but spending $18 for valet at this property seems goofy.

All in all, while I don't think this will be renamed the "Park Hyatt Sarasota" any time soon, it was absolutely more than adequate for an early summer family visit and I would stay again without thinking twice.