FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:00 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by ADSmithNRA
Normally I HATE government interference and meddling in private sector affairs but I am holding out hope the DOJ blocks this merger in the 11th hour last ditch effort in the form of an Anti-Trust lawsuit that was filed because for the love of God I do not want lose Star Alliance for the crappiest alliance in the world...One World!
That's the only negative in this for me. *A is the best for the places I want to go. However, I will love burning BA Avios on short hauls out of PWM to DCA/PHL instead of paying $3-400 for them.

If you do a lot of short haul flying, now is the time for you to come up with a strategy to stockpile Amex MR points. Their distance based award chart is great for short hauls, and they have access to pretty much all AA Saver award inventory online.

I realize it's off topic to this thread, but one example is that I just redeemed 38k MR for 50k Avios (recent Amex bonus) and booked two one-way in J on EI BOS-DUB for New Years. I haven't booked the return yet because I think we might try to return from Italy.

Being able to redeem like that on the combined US/AA network will be a plus for me.