FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel Insurance for a long-term, open ended trip >4 months w/no set value
Old Jul 5, 2013, 2:00 pm
Dianne47

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Thank you for your comments JDiver. I have never used DAN, but if you look back through this thread I was the person who originally suggested the organization (although not by name) for the original poster. That being said, I'm a longtime FT member who has experience with evacuation insurance that few others have.

When I was going through the ordeal of trying to get the insurance company to honor their contract for transporting my critically ill husband, I was doubtful that they would do the right thing. So I started phoning medical ambulance companies in ABQ to get quotes. I spoke several times to the local owner of an air ambulance service. She asked me the name of the insurance company (which I can't recall now) and groaned when I told her. She had been in business for about 20 years and I realized she was in a position to have knowledge of the good and not-so-good insurance companies. She emphatically told me that MedJetAssist was the only really good medical evacuation company, in fact she stated that it's often very difficult for her to actually get payment from others.

Nowhere in my comments above have I made negative comments about DAN, in fact it sounds like it might be just the program for the OP. Over the years I have always tried to share my knowledge and experience with other FTers, in a positive way. The bottom line is any consumer thinking they might need evacuation insurance needs to very carefully dissect the contract to see what it and what isn't covered.

What I can tell you is that MedJetAssist is an excellent program for people who want to cover emergency evacuation. The OP might not be very concerned about that, but if s/he's undertaking adventurous activities in remote areas s/he should be. Young people often don't think about such things, hence my comments on previous posts. I have a friend who had a stroke at home, was saved by a local neurosurgeon, but she was in very serious condition and could not travel by car or commercially to the rehab hospital in Denver. Her MedJetAssist membership provided the right transportation for her. Keep in mind a one-hour flight runs at or above $8,000. Most people don't have a clue what's involved.

Finally, the evacuation coverage we had was through the Marine Corps Association. Like most similar organizations that offer such benefits they contract out their coverages for members. I finally had to contact the CEO of the MCA to help me, fortunately the retired general remembered working with my husband years before. He had to lean very hard on the insurance company to get them to provide my husband's flight, without the general's help we would've been out thousands of dollars. I have no idea whether DAN's evacuation coverage is good or not. I do know that MedJetAssist's is.

Last edited by Dianne47; Jul 5, 2013 at 2:22 pm Reason: accidentally posted without completing final paragraph