FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What Kind of Funny Business is SHARES up to Now?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:24 pm
steve64

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by username
I am curious....

I thought there was a process where the reservation systems load the schedule from the OAG "tape". I guess these fake flights are just manually added to the system?

What inventory classes are there and what are the capacity/authorized values set to?

I take it that there is a way so it is not published to OA? Obviously it displays on the website

Thanks.
Funny. I remember someone in the VX forum debating with me saying that OAG was the "system of record" for airline skeds.
It's completely backwards from that. Airlines are the system of record and they advise OAG what their skeds are. It's easy when "writing the tape" to send to OAG (and other CRS) to exclude flights in certain number ranges.

The fake flights had standard fare buckets and availability.
There were about a dozen flights and they "operated daily" so that gave a lot of flights to use for training.
When using a fake flight to extend a PNR's life on the mainframe, or for "email" for a large group of employees, the best practice is to "meal list" the flight versus booking a seat.
"Meal listing" is something pass riders would do to show their intent to try and "non-rev" on the flight. It doesn't remove a seat from inventory. But when it came time to plan the anticipated load for a flight (for meal, fuel and weight-balance planning) it would count the pass rider as another potential passenger. You can "meal list" an indefinite number of folks to a flight.

And yea, I'm talking about SABRE, not SHARES.
But the backbone of most (all ??) CRS systems is the same.
In my days as an AAgent, I remember standing over DL Agents and seeing a lot of similarity.
Just a year-n-half ago, I went to the "Capt Denny DO" in PDX. Of the many things we did, one was let a CO Agent show us some SHARES screens. I could actually decipher most of the info on them. Scary given that my days as an AAgent ended 20 years ago !!

Last edited by steve64; Jul 4, 2013 at 10:37 pm