FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Flights are Too Cheap
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:02 pm
Cloudship

Programs: Independent
Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
And to complicate the decision more, there are many fliers looking to pay cheapest coach fare for free business/first class.... and north american airlines have catered to that through unlimited domestic upgrade or upgrade certificates.
Is it that they want a full luxury product for a cheap discount price, or that they simply don't have that choice. That is my issue with the whole thing. I love to fly. I am a big guy - an economy class width seat is just plain too small. But my choices are to buy one economy seat and not only be uncomfortable myself but also get the grumbling from my seat mates and ugly looks from well, just about everyone, buy two economy seats at twice what everyone else has to spend, so I can treat the guy next to me to half a seat extra, still get the the ugly looks, and get screwed out of miles and luggage space, or I can spend 2 and a half to three times as much for a domestic first seat, which gives me the wider seat but no more useable leg room than economy comfort, free alcohol, but I don't drink, and every once in a while a small salad with half a piece of chicken on it. And still get only half again my FF miles.

So, really, does it not make more sense to go after the frequent flyer status? I know this is a bit of backwards thinking for many, but if you are really concerned about the number of people competing for you for that upgrade seat, maybe if they made upgrades more obtainable by the average public, you might not get so many people flying extra miles or longer routes and taking up those seats in the first place.