FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Calling all natives! Please review my road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:09 pm
jatink129

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by ballogie
Fuel is expensive outside the main towns. Fill up at Asda supermarkets where possible as they are all same low rate where ever you are. Fuel in the Highlands will be over £1.60 per litre

Agreed about the Loch Ness route, go up the west side via Drumnadrochit and stop at Castle Urquhart and do some Nessy spotting. Best time to her is just before sunset.

Car hire at ABZ is now a five minute walk turning left out of the terminal doors. Check the car with meticulous scrutiny for dents and scratches. Get the guy in the outside cabin to alter the record to reflect the truth. Use auto-europe.co.uk to book the car and insuranceforcarhire.co.uk to buy an excess policy and decline the hire car company's excess waiver policy. Hire a compact at the very least - you'll be glad of the extra acceleration if nothing else
I forgot to update the map actually.
We did want to check out Castle Urquhart, and just for convenience sake, I put in "Loch Ness" as the location, instead of Urquhart, and Google automatically chose the other route.

But thanks for the tip.

Do gas stations sell gas in bottles? Something that we can buy and take with us?

As for cars, we found an economy car (Renault Clio or similar) on holidayautos.co.uk for about 60 pounds which I thought was a fair price.
I was actually considering putting it on my Chase Explorer card, since it gives me zero foreign transaction fees and primary car insurance.

auto-europe.co.uk showed me similar prices. Whereas http://insuranceforcarhire.co.uk/ took me to a generic website