FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Companion Fare FAQ - Bank of America Mileage Plan Visa
Old Jul 1, 2013, 3:13 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Scottrick
I have a question regarding change of plans when one traveler can still go but the other cannot. I am the primary traveler, and my companion and I will make the outbound journey together. So the ticket isn't going to be canceled.

But on the return journey (nonstop, if that matters) I would like the companion to return alone while I stay behind. Is this a problem? I know the FAQs say you must travel together, but couldn't we both check-in online and then the companion board without me? Is Alaska going to pull him off the plane because I'm not there?
I doubt they'd pull him off the plane. You actually don't need to check in together; in fact, it may raise fewer flags if you don't check in, as your itinerary will then automatically be canceled at T-30, and the GA may not even know that you were ever supposed to be on the flight.

Your portion of the itinerary will be canceled, though, with no residual value.

Just to be safe, you may want to book your friend as the primary traveler so the bulk of the ticket's value is assigned to him. (Just put his name in first when booking.)