FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel goes sideways due to poor check-in errors - worth a letter?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:57 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by climmy
It was a paid economy united booking on ua.com, and upgraded using miles. UA put us over on delta to make good on the trip. However, from F back to Y of course. Can you clarify that we shouldn't get the miles back for the upgrades? Note I wasn't even considering asking for financial refund as they got us there in economy without the upgrades as promised.
You certainly should get the miles back for the upgrades you didn't get. I hope I'm not being naive in assuming that, even these days, UA will readily redeposit the miles into your account.

Originally Posted by Indelaware
I wouldn't waste my time with a letter. Move on with life; don't get frustrated with the little things.

That said, one should never leave the agent without examining that each boarding pass is present and accurate.
Agreed, that OP shouldn't get too hung up over this. But he's entitled to getting his upgrade miles back and he'd potentially be doing UA and other future passengers a favor by calling to UA's attention the exceptionally sloppy UA agent work.

Yes, one should make sure one's boarding pass is accurate, which would have helped with the wife's missing boarding pass. As for scrawling INF on a boarding pass, the OP could assume that the agent knew what he/she was doing.