FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TSA Using Passenger Screening Dogs
View Single Post
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:35 pm
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by lovely15
Too bad for the dogs that the TSA is presumably in charge of their care.

Not that the program makes much sense anyway. 99.99999% of people have no explosives. Are they going to let all those people have expedited screening because the dog found them clear?
Expedited screening as the article describes it is basically pre-9/11 screening:

Originally Posted by in the article
One man tweeted, “Through airport security without taking my shoes off, removing anything from my bag or being scanned!”

A woman tweeted, “Straight through security in two minutes with shoes on and laptops/liquids in bag. Testing new security procedures at Denver. Nice job.”
This could become a back-door method of easing liquid and gel restrictions and sharps prohibitions, which are common-sense changes that we've been talking about on FT for several years. Widespread expedited screening of this type could mean that, after the dog sniffs them, very few folks will get anything more than A) Put your bag on the belt, B) walk through the metal detector, C) have a nice flight. Only when the x-ray operator sees something worth stealing, er, investigating, would a traveler have a bag check or any escalated screening.

If it's kept quiet and rolled out slowly, without fanfare, maybe the FA unions won't go ape over it the way they did with the knives and bats change.

This has potential. Given TSA's abysmal record of human rights and basic inteligence, however, I somehow doubt that it will live up to its potential.