FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines 2013 rebranding/possible name change speculation
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:09 am
dave1013

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
This conjures up memories of the proposed aircraft logo switch ~10 years ago. Management wanted to replace the smiling Eskimo headshot with a stylized mountain image. In the court of public opinion, the idea was not unlike the FY-1981 Federal budget, which landed with a thud in the White House and elicited a famous quote from President Reagan that it was dead on arrival. Accordingly, the idea of a stylized mountain logo quickly went away, with management saying "We heard you" while in full retreat.

In my opinion, the word "Alaska" (not "Alaskan") still has major marketing appeal and it would be a mistake to change this horse in the middle of the stream. I mean, AS appears to have done fantastically well from a dollars-and-sense standpoint with the title "Alaska Airlines". I wouldn't want to do anything to rock the boat, but that's just my two cents.