FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Calling all natives! Please review my road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 12:11 am
jatink129

Programs: Work in progress.
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!! Road-trip plan to the Scottish Highlands.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

I just got back from an amazing trip. I could have done with a little less rain, but overall, it was like entering middle-earth.

Just a few random photos from my three days in the Highlands.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________

Hello all!

Going to visit my girl (after 7 months! This long-distance thing is killing me! ) who lives in U.K and we thought of taking a short 3-day trip through the highlands.

Based on suggestions and convenience, we've figured out an itinerary.

The only thing set in stone right now is the flight to Aberdeen which we've already booked. Everything else that you're going to read, can be tweaked based on your reviews/suggestions.

http://tinyurl.com/highlands-roadtrip

Day 1. September 21st.
Arrive in Aberdeen in the morning and drive to Loch Lomond.
Catch the sunset there and spend the night there.

Day 2. September 22nd.
Catch the sunrise at Loch Lomond and drive to Eilean Donan and catch the sunset there.
Spend the night there. ("There" being a relative term)

Day 3. September 23rd.
Catch the rest of the stuff.
Flight back to East Midlands in the evening.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Questions.

1. Only driving out of the way to Eilean Donan because a couple of people have told me that it's a nice place.
Just wanted to confirm it was really worth it?

2. Found a nice B&B for the first night at Balfron station in Drymen for about £50. Couldn't find anything closer to Loch Lomond around that price. Don't want to spend too much since we're really just looking for a place to rest out heads.
Any recommendations for something near Eilean Donan? Couldn't find anything around that price.

Looking at Google map zoomed in, I see PLENTY of B&B along the way...Should we just wing it? I'm afraid to not have anything pre-booked.
But I'd be willing to do it, if I knew an approximate cost.

3. Don't know how "touristy" everything on my list is...I'm assuming most of it is the more standard fare.
Any thing that I should cut out?

Any places that I should add in? Especially looking for areas with a good view for photographs.

4. Speaking of photographs, I'm assuming that I could get good photos of the night sky, but are there any locations that you'd recommend above all?

5. Are the lakes closed after a certain time?

6. Is it safe to roam around at night? (Had to ask. No offence meant)

7. How are the driving conditions? Also, do all the places in the list have some sort of parking arrangements?

8. How often will we see places to eat along the way? So that we can decide whether to stock up on stuff or not.

9. How is Aberdeen airport in terms of queues? Would 1.5 hours before the flight be enough time?

10. We love experimenting with food. Is there anything that you'd recommend we try?

11. My dad loves Glenfidditch so that's pretty much the only reason why I picked that. So as to pick up some souvenir for him.
Is there any other distillery that you'd recommend over this one?

12. How far apart are gas stations located in the highlands?
__________________________________________________ __________

Thank you.
I appreciate any help/suggestions that I could get.

Last edited by jatink129; Oct 1, 2013 at 11:43 am