FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2013, 8:48 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
13) In the spring of 1983, two airlines were operating nonstop service between Honolulu (HNL) and Anchorage (ANC). One air carrier flew three times a week and the other airline operated once a week. Name both airlines and the respective equipment types they flew on the route.

United used to serve HNL-ANC with DC-8-71s but I don't think that service started until 1984 with United's expansion of service to all 50 states. As such, I reckon I'll have to go with SPIA - South Pacific Island Airways operating an ex-Kuwait 707-369. I am still kicking myself for having chosen a shiny new 747-200 on UTA between Papeete and Los Angeles back in 1981 when I could have flown an SPIA 707 from Papeete to Pago Pago to Honolulu and then connected to Braniff's big orange 747 to DFW and on to Denver aboard whatever (a 727). For some reason at that time, I'd gotten this idea that UTA's First Class Galaxy Service would be really special. Alas, it was only... okay... but nowhere near as elaborate as Air New Zealand's, upon which I'd flown in First Class from LA to Papeete two weeks earlier. (On a DC-10-30)

16) In the spring of 1984, this air carrier was operating two Douglas DC-9-10 jet flights a day between Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) and Corpus Christi (CRP). Identify the airline

It seems I always get a bit confused between Royale Airlines and Emerald Air, both of which operated DC-9-10s around Texas. I seem to recall it being mentioned in an earlier Q&A here that Royale operated on behalf of Continental on some routes, but I doubt any of those would have been out of Dallas. So - I'm gonna have to go with Emerald Air!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 30, 2013 at 11:54 pm