FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HA-DL partnership ending?
View Single Post
Old Jun 30, 2013, 2:23 pm
LIH Prem

Originally Posted by ah7e

New partnership on AA they announced recently at first looked good, but when I read the fine print earlier this morning it said:

Earn HawaiianMiles on ALLroutes American Airlines flies excluding Hawaii-North America.

So you'll get nothing flying AA from HNL to LAX, ORD, or DFW and back -- which is huge in terms of potential earned mileage.

I take it from the fine print that AA international routes is also a bust for earning HA miles as well?

Best thing I can think to earn maximum HA mileage domestically is to fly HA to the west coast (or JFK) then connect on AA to cities not served by Hawaiian...
You won't earn "nothing".

You can earn AAdvantage miles for flying on American, which are vastly superior to Hawaiian Miles in my opinion.

You can redeem AAdvantage miles for interisland travel (5k vs 7.5k if you can find availability) and all travel on Hawaiian and you can earn AA miles on all HA flights except N. America to/from Hawaii:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...lines/main.jsp

Earn miles on Hawaiian Airlines within the Hawaiian Islands and between Hawaii and Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Korea, Philippines and Tahiti. Redeem miles on all Hawaiian Airlines flights, including travel between the U.S. and Hawaii.
And IMO AAdvantage miles are far more flexible than HA miles if you want to travel on AA or other One World or AA partner airlines.

So I guess I don't see what you are losing here? The award charts are definitely different, so YMMV I suppose.

On the DL changes, my guess is it's related to DLs recent changes to their partner earnings which may have also affected the costs for partners to redeem on DL, and some airlines are not going to pay the price they are demanding. That's just my guess, so consider it to be just my opinion. There's no way their partnership is ending, just the ability to cross-earn and redeem miles may be changing.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 30, 2013 at 2:32 pm