FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any Drawbacks from having MP account registered to foreign address?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:38 am
alex_b

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
UA may have no CC offerings outside the US but almost every major airline WORLWIDE is tied up w at least one CC from the home country. I can't imagine it would be difficult for UA to negotiate some kind of seal w banks in Japan or the UK. Granted, the big banks are already tied in with airlines like BA, JL, NH etc but there are plenty of other banks who would probably jump at a deal. I imagine UA may have some kind of deal w Chase prohibiting this
UA does have overseas offerings (I have the UK MBNA Amex) but they suck, no sign-up bonus, no perks and earn 1 mile per £1 spend (i.e. 66% of the US rate).

Originally Posted by flyingbrick
Dunno about SHARES, but based on past experiences with non-US addresses, I would not be overly surprised if:

1) You could never check-in online
2) You sometimes were required to show the purchase cc at check-in
3) Sometimes have online purchase issues if your MP address and cc address don't match
4) TSA Pre may be a distant memory.
I can confirm I could checkin online with my US passport before moving to the US with a UK address on my account, I was never asked to show my cc at checkin, nor did I have issues with non-matching addresses. TSAPre is connected with your trusted traveller number and nothing else.

Originally Posted by txp
... by changing the definition of "US residence" from "country declared as residence on UA profile" to "country where your credit card is issued."
So would that be the country where my UK MP credit card is issued or my US MP credit card is issued? Those of us who have multiple claims to residence have multiple credit cards. Anyway I don't store a credit card on file with UA and the one I use for booking with vary on a journey by journey basis.

Originally Posted by dgdevil
TSA Pre might fall by the wayside, but I somehow qualified for that even though I'm not a US citizen.
I don't see why, GE isn't limited to US residents (US citizens qualify) and TSA simply rely on the airline providing your known traveller number to them at checkin.

Originally Posted by o mikros
However, they still want to woo international customers to fly with/credit to them, especially since they make money from pax on other airlines crediting to MP. The only way they can make that reasonable for those of us based outside the States (since our "domestic" travel is never on UA) is to waive the PQD requirement.
This seems most likely, I stuck with UA when overseas because of their relatively good redemption policy and the *A network meant I could earn status fairly easily. For non-US residents the key benefit of MP rather than *G on another carrier is E+; CPU probably doesn't matter as it's not available on the int'l leg and the luggage and boarding benefits are *G benefits anyway.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Again, I think the reason for the foreign exemption is legal. UA and DL don't have any choice so I don't think they can change them.
I doubt it, they already have plenty in the T&Cs (e.g. can change anything at any time, cancel account without compensation) that would be unlawful within most EU countries under their consumer protection regulations. This is much more likely about retaining overseas travellers who don't actually consume much of their benefits from UA but still credit miles to them.