FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any way to avoid UA's "SCAM" when using a credit?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyWorld

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Many things have "issues" and most are honest mistakes....but this has been going on since at least the merger on 3/3/12 (and maybe even before) every time someone buys a ticket this way using a credit and does not know tot check the fares first without a credit, UA is charging money it has no right to. In essence it is over charging for each and every ticket bought this way and at best, its incredibly dishonest - at worst, i would think it is or should be illegal
Sorry this isn't helpful but I had an even worse experience trying to use a portion of an unused itinerary. You might recall when I was in DEL and abandoned the return from DEL-SFO then used miles to purchase a different route home. It took weeks and weeks of fighting and escalations just to get a department deep in the bowels of IAH to look at my case and tell me basically that I'd never be able to meet their criteria for being able to recover the value that was in the ticket. Front-line agents just said "there's nothing I can do." With UA, I'd routinely made changes/cancellations and had easily been able to apply that stored value to future trips without any difficulty. With CO, it became impossible. SCAM indeed.

Why you choose to give good money to CO given the options available to you is truly beyond me ...