FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any way to avoid UA's "SCAM" when using a credit?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 8:45 pm
chinatraderjmr

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Angry Any way to avoid UA's "SCAM" when using a credit?

Sorry for this long rant and all the numbers but not sure how else to make my point.....O.K. It takes a lot for me to call something a "scam" but this is getting ridiculous. Like many here, I have cancelled non refundable tickets and ended up with a credit (minus the $200 fee) in the past. The last time I tried to use a credit, I booked a $600 fare to HNL and called to have my $529 credit applied. (so it should have cost me $600 - 529 + 200 = $271, right? I was told it does not work this way...you must book the new ticket using the credit off of the original cancelled PNR. Fine, only problem is when doing that, the best fare UA was showing to HNL was $1070. For the exact same flights, on the exact same days as the $600 fare. So basically, using the credit made it more expensive to travel then having no credit at all $1070 - 500 + 200 = $770 (so with the credit, $770, no credit, $600. After arguing with an agent and her supervisor, I got them to apply the $600 fare. Fine, not a scam but an anomaly??? Anything is possible with SHARES and strange things happen, its not always a conspiracy. Right?? hmmmm

NOW, a few weeks ago I bought my Brother a r/t ticket NYC-DXB to come visit for a week this summer. (EWR-IAD-DXB-ZRH-JFK) The outbound was booked into H class and upgraded with a GPU and I had the return booked into Z so a split fare. H,H,Z,Z.(I cant remember the exact fare basis but the return Z part was more restricted this making the whole ticket restricted). I paid what I consider a reasonable $4200 for this. (Especially cuz the return was on code shares operated by Swiss and they have a great C product for him). He is here now and we decided to extend his trip. I can cancel the return outright or just use the change flights function which is really the same thing as returning it and using the credit. So, requesting to change flights to new dates, UA offered following; unused ticket + $2410 + 250 (fee?) = 2660.00 for the new one way biz class return dates. Sounds O.K. I guess. One ways can be expensive and his unused return is worth $3029 so really, the new return is costing $5689 (3029 (credit) + 2410 +250) . BUT HERE IS THE PROBLEM, with NO return ticket being used, I can just out right buy him a brand new one way Z class for $2936 0n all UA or $3030 using the Swiss code shares. So UA is telling me his return ticket in Z class that we want to switch the dates on is worth only $86????? I know thats not true cuz reservations as well as looking at the fare breakdown tells me its worth 3029.00. So what good is this $3029 credit if using it makes the new ticket more expensive then having no credit to use at all?

Im sorry but it looks to me like this whole credit thing is just a great big SCAM . UA should be required to let us use any available fare before applying our credits. I find it hard to believe this is even legal? We should be able to use our credits on any available fare....that is clearly not the case.

Am I missing something here. Perhaps someone can set me straight on how these credits are supposed to work or know how to avoid these scam like fares?? All I know is I am disgusted. UA already has the $3000 for his return so its not like putting him on EK is gonna hurt them but I am certainly not giving them another dime. I Guess we just have to use the credit some other time and Ill buy him a return on EK or QR.....