FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:41 pm
valor155

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by frankmu
Sorry, won't work. Here's an email I received recently:

"Hello Mr. frankmu,

We’re always glad to hear from Premier Platinum members like you. Thanks for writing.

I went back to your original travel record and your travel was originally booked in "Q" class of service and then upgraded.

Mileage is earned according to the booking code purchased. Upgrades to the front cabin do not earn fare class bonus miles or additional Premier qualifying miles or segments. This includes Complimentary Premier Upgrades, Mileage Upgrade Awards and upgrades purchased on the day of departure, even when a co-pay or fee is paid.

Thanks for participating in the MileagePlus® program!

Regards,

XXXX XXXX
MileagePlus® Service Director"
I've seen this exact note before . . . on my own Buy Up!

UA CS is very confused about their own UG policy.

If it was a Paid Upgrade . . . ie . . . you got the pop up offering an upgrade, that's a TOD, and in the terms and conditions on that very page, it'll tell you get the original class of service bonus. That's simply because you didn't actually buy up and you didn't get a new ticket issued. You just paid a discounted rate, and are now sitting in F.

If you did a Buy Up, you can even see the difference from a link saying "What's the difference?" explaining a buy up versus upgrading with miles or points (which does always earn original class PQM, etc).

FOR A BUY UP, YOU EARN NEW CLASS OF SERVICE PQM, etc.

Didn't mean to shout, but UA CS screws this up constantly . . . and also personally in at least one instance with me.

It took me at least 5 emails before someone said "oops". And corrected things.

So, for PAID UPGRADE, the CS agent is right (no new ticket or new fare class, you would see "Zx" as your fare class).

For BUY UP, it is a new ticket, and the new fare class (However, the fare class may be M if you are a 1K), for instance, which only earns 100%.

My advice is to email or call them again. REFER to your NEW ticket number (hopefully, you have it), and tell them you did not receive your correct miles based on your fare class. Don't even mention that you did any sort of upgrade.

If you say "I paid for an upgrade" or similar, then that confuses them (for good reason . . . it is confusing!), and you get the response you received, even if it was a legit buy-up.

I hope this helps. Don't give up here!